Home Medications and Cures for Colitis
Colitis or Cholitis is an inflammation of the membrane lining the large bowel, may be acute or chronic. Depending on the cause, there are many different types of Colitis. They are Infectious Colitis, Chemical Colitis, Ulcerative Colitis, Microscopic Colitis and Ischemic Colitis. Out of these, Ulcerative Colitis is a type of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Ulcerative Colitis, which is a serious inflammatory disease of the bowel, may also be due to psychosomatic illness, i.e. a mind-body illness where emotional factors produce physical symptoms.
Jump to - Symptoms, Causes , Treatment,Other suggestions
Common Symptoms of Colitis:
- Diarrhea with or without blood
- Abdominal pain and tenderness,
- Mucus in stool
- Loss of appetite or weight loss
- Fever, lethargy, and loss of appetite
- Bloating and flatulence
Common factors that can lead to colitis are:
- Heredity factors are often instrumental in causing colitis.
- Environmental factors can cause ulcerative colitis.
- Some foods might actually encourage colon inflammation. Diets low in fermentable fiber might increase the incidence of colitis.
- Chronic Constipation and excessive use of Laxatives.
- Stress is believed to be a major contributing cause of colitis.
Colitis treatment using Banana:
One or two ripe bananas taken every day are one of the most effective home remedies for ulcerative colitis. Being bland, smooth, easily-digestible and slightly laxative, they relieve the acute symptoms and promote the healing process.
Colitis treatment using Buttermilk
A glass of buttermilk
Taken daily is another effective remedy for colitis. It is the residual liquid left over after the fat has been removed from curd by churning
Colitis treatment using Tender Coconut
Drinking the water of one tender coconut
Daily has been found valuable in colitis. It is soothing to the soft mucosa of the colon.
Colitis treatment using Apples
Also aid the healing of ulcerative lesions because of their ample concentration of iron and phosphorus.
Colitis treatment using Drumstick
Drumsticks are also useful in colitis.
A teaspoon of fresh leaf juice, mixed with an equal quantity of honey and a glass of tender coconut water, is given two or three times daily as a herbal medicine for the treatment of this disease.
Colitis treatment using Rice
Has a very low fibre content, and is, therefore, extremely soothing in colitis. A thick gruel of rice mixed with a glass of buttermilk and a ripe banana, given twice a day, forms a very nutritious, well-balanced diet in this disease.
Colitis treatment using Wheat-grass
The juice of wheat-grass
(a grass which grows after sowing wheat grains in the earth) used as an enema, helps detoxify the walls of the colon. The general procedure is to first give an enema with lukewarm water. After waiting for twenty minutes, 90-120 ml of wheat-grass juice enema is given. This should be retained for fifteen minutes. This enema is very helpful in disorders associated with colitis. Wheat-grass can be grown at home in earthen pots if it is not available through dealers.
Diet for Colitis
REGARDING THE PROPER DIET FOR BOWEL DISORDERS:
1. An important consideration is food allergies. Certain foods seem more likely to cause colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, or irritable bowel syndrome. Eliminating these foods from the diet is a good way to determine if one or several of them are responsible for the problem. The main problem foods are dairy products (including milk, cheese, ice cream), eggs, wheat, corn, oranges, and sugar.
After eliminating all of those allergic foods from the diet, and the symptoms have gone away, 1 food at a time can be reintroduced to see if the symptoms reoccur. A new food would be introduced each week. If you need more information, refer to article program on food allergies.
Carageenan is a food stabilizer that is added to many processed foods and dairy products. Since it may worsen colitis, try to avoid it.
2. Consider fasting on juices for 2 or 3 days. The juices of choice are apple, carrot, beet, and spinach juices. Herbal teas such as Chamomile and Slippery Elm tea may also be used. Fasting should be done under a doctor's supervision. Pregnant women should not fast. Break the juice fast with a grated apple, and later in the day, eat some well-cooked brown rice.
For the next few days eat the following foods: steamed yellow vegetables such as carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and pumpkin; apples, both raw or cooked; bananas, avocados, and juices. Also include well-cooked brown rice.
If after a few days on this diet your symptoms have improved, you may try adding fish and salads. Soy products may be also added if you are not allergic to them.
It is recommended to stay off meat and poultry for several months, and it is especially important to eliminate any fried foods from your diet. Replenishing healthy bacteria, such as Acidiophilus and Bifidus, in the intestines can often stabilize the digestion and reverse the process called "leaky gut syndrome" in which the digestive lining becomes damaged and inflamed. You may also benefit from bulk-forming laxatives such as psyllium seed husks.
Papaya juice, raw cabbage juice and carrot juice
Diet plays an important part in the treatment of colitis. It is advisable to observe a juice fast for five days or so, in most cases of ulcerative colitis. Papaya juice, raw cabbage juice, and carrot juice are especially beneficial.
Avoid Citrus juice
Citrus juices should be avoided.
Have steamed vegetables, rice, home-made cottage cheese etc
Foods which should be excluded from the diet are white sugar, white bread, and white flour products; highly seasoned foods; highly salted foods; strong tea, coffee, and alcoholic beverages; and foods cooked in aluminum pans.
During the first five days of the juice fast, the bowels should be cleansed daily with a warm-water enema
A buttermilk enema taken twice a week is also soothing and helps in re-installing useful bacterial flora in the colon.
Complete bedrest is necessary, avoid stress
Complete bedrest is very important. The patient should eliminate all causes of tension and face his discomfort with patience.